Tree Maintenance

  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListFilterParent::get_filter_form() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListFilterParent.php on line 15.
  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListFilterParent::get_filter_form_validate() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListFilterParent.php on line 16.
  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListFilterParent::get_filter_form_submit() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListFilterParent.php on line 17.
  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListFilterParent::clear_existing_settings() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListFilterParent.php on line 18.
  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListDisplayParent::get_display_form() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListDisplayParent.php on line 109.
  • strict warning: Static function SimpleListDisplayParent::clear_existing_settings() should not be abstract in /home/oviedofl/public_html/sites/all/modules/simplelist/SimpleListDisplayParent.php on line 111.

The Public Works Department ensures that trees located within the public Right-of-Ways are maintained, providing shade for Crape Myrtle City roadways, sidewalks, and municipal properties.  This involves:

  • Inspecting trees and other foliage
  • Trimming and removing dead, infected, or otherwise hazardous trees and shrubs
  • Trimming or removal of trees and shrubs that may block driver and pedestrian sight lines or roadway clearances

Arbor FAQs

Do I need a permit to remove a tree in my yard?

Yes.  A permit must be obtained to remove any canopy tree within Oviedo City limits. Trees such as palms, fruit, or the understory varieties (i.e. Crape Myrtle) do not require a permit for removal.

To request a permit, please contact Chris Wenner, Contract Compliance Inspector, at or call (407) 971-5671.

Do I need a permit to plant a tree in the Right-of-Way or parkway?

No. However, the tree must be pruned to allow safe passage of vehicles and pedestrians, as well as to maintain a safe line of sight.  Clearances that must be maintained are:

  • 14 feet 6 inches over roadways
  • 8 feet 6 inches over sidewalks
  • 3 feet or less for shrubs

Please be aware that any plantings in the public Right-of-Way may be trimmed by City maintenance personnel or contract personnel. The City only trims trees for clearance and line of sight issues, not for aesthetics. Always call 811 prior to digging.

Arbor & Grounds Maintenance